The NUHS Diagnostic Radiology Residency Programme prepares residents to become well-rounded radiologists as well as for the Fellowship Examination of the Royal College of Radiology UK (FRCR) and Master of Medicine (MMed) Diagnostic Radiology Singapore. We also develop residents to become excellent clinician educators, clinician researchers or clinician leaders depending on their areas of interest.
Applicants must fulfill the requirements by the Singapore Medical Council for full or conditional registration. Eligibility for conditional registration requires the applicant to hold a basic medical degree from a university/medical school listed in the Schedule of the Medical Registration Act.
Our Diagnostic Radiology Residency Programme is a continuum of 5 years. We tailor the programme to enable residents to achieve their learning goals and to attain the FRCR and MMed Diagnostic Radiology. Residents will be rotated through neuroradiology (including head & neck radiology), musculoskeletal radiology, breast radiology, body imaging (including cardiac CT and MRI), interventional radiology, paediatric radiology, ultrasound and nuclear medicine. Training also includes general radiology (plain films, fluoroscopy and intravenous urography).
R1 residents start with general radiology, nuclear medicine, CT and ultrasound. MRI will be introduced in the later part of the first year. Residents are expected to sit the FRCR part 1 examination during their first year of training. R2 and R3 residents consolidate their knowledge and skills with rotations through all the radiological subspecialties. Residents will sit for the FRCR 2A examination after completing 24 months of clinical radiology training. In the third and fourth years of residency, residents will sit for the FRCR 2B examination after completing 34 months of clinical radiology training. Rotations through the radiological subspecialties take place in the NUHS cluster hospitals. R5 residents go through four 3-month rotations in sub-specialties of their choice, one of which will be a cross cluster elective.
- Great emphasis on teaching and passing examinations
- Fortnightly in-house web-based mock exams modelled after the FRCR Part 1 and 2B written examinations with feedback
- Thrice weekly consultant-led tutorials, modelled after the FRCR Part 2B viva examinations
- Up to 20 clinico-radiological rounds per week
- Institutional subscriptions to electronic reference and assessment materials (StatDX, e-Anatomy)
- Monthly meetings with mentors enabling individual feedback to be given on progress
- Monthly resident meetings with senior staff
- Regular auditing of on-call cases by consultant radiologists for quality and educational purposes with monthly audit meeting
- High priority given to residents’ examination and training leave
- Opportunities for research and participation in audit and teaching activities
Dr Koh Hui Liang
Associate Programme Directors
Dr Sheldon Ng Jin Kea
Dr Kei Pin Lin
Dr Arvind Kumar Sinha
Dr Lim Mei Chin
Dr Teo Yi Ming
Dr Clement Yong Hsiang Rong
Dr Koh Hui Liang
Ms Jamie Wong
Ms Karin Lee