A/Prof Victor Koh is currently the Head for Department of Ophthalmology at National University Hospital (NUH) and National Univesity of Singapore (NUS) Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. He is also an Associate Professor at the NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine.
A/Prof Koh graduated from NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine in 2007 and completed his basic and advanced Ophthalmology specialist training in 2016. In the specialist accreditation exams, he passed with several distinction awards and subsequently also obtained his MRCSEd (Ophthalmology) from the Royal College of Ophthalmology, Edinburgh. He finished a three-year glaucoma fellowship under his mentor, Prof Paul Chew. In 2018 to 2019, he underwent further sub-specialisation into childhood glaucoma and complex glaucoma management under Prof Sir Peng Khaw at Moorfields Eye Hospital, UK, the largest tertiary referral centre in Europe. His clinical expertise is in adult and childhood glaucoma management and complex cataract surgery. He is proficient in a broad range of cataract surgical techniques including femtosecond laser assisted cataract surgery, premium intraocular lens implantation and sutureless techniques for the scleral fixation of intraocular lenses.
Fueled by his interest in novel medical technologies, he completed a Masters (Innovation Graduate Program) at NUS in 2018. A/Prof Koh was awarded with translational grants at the national level and currently leads the SPIN (Ophthalmology), the flagship program for translational innovation at National University Health System. His main research interest is in disruptive innovative medical devices designed for community-based ophthalmic diagnostics and new laser/implants for refractory glaucoma. He has been actively involved in publications and served as a reviewer in multiple peer-reviewed journals. He aims to engage his patients to provide evidence-based but individualised therapy in his daily clinical duties.
As he has benefitted greatly from his teachers, A/Prof Koh strongly believes in educating the next generation of young doctors and medical students to provide a high level of patient care. He was awarded the NUS-NUH Young Educator Award 2014 and NUH Young Clinician Mentor Award 2015 for his contributions. He is also the co-editor of the book tilted: Essentials of Ophthalmology - For Medical School and Beyond.
1. N Sachdev, MC Aquino, SC Loon, YH Chan, P Chew, V Koh, et al. Outcomes and Complications of Scleral-Fixated Intraocular Lens Combined with Ahmed Tube Surgery. J Ophthalmol. 2018 Mar 25;2018:9824035.
2. V Koh, IN Swamidoss, MCD Aquino, PT Chew, C Sng, et al. Novel Automated Approach to Predict the Outcome of Laser Peripheral Iridotomy for Primary Angle Closure Suspect Eyes Using Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. J Med Syst. 2018 Apr 27;42(6):107.
3. V Koh, YC Tham YC, CY Cheung, B Mani, TY Wong, T Aung, CY Cheng, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of macular ganglion cell-inner plexiform layer thickness for glaucoma detection in a population-based study: Comparison with optic nerve head imaging parameters. PLoS One. 2018 Jun 26;13(6):e0199134.
4. JQH Choo, ZD Chen, V Koh, S Liang, CM Aquino, C Sng, P Chew, et al. Outcomes and Complications of Ahmed Tube Implantation in Asian Eyes. J Glaucoma. 2018 Aug;27(8):733-738.
5. V Koh, MR Keshtkaran, D Hernstadt, MCD Aquino, PT Chew, C Sng, et al. Predicting the outcome of laser peripheral iridotomy for primary angle closure suspect eyes using anterior segment optical coherence tomography. Acta Ophthalmol. 2019 Feb;97(1):e57-e63.
6. NYQ Tan, YC Tham, V Koh, CY Cheung, T Aung, TY Wong, CY Cheng, et al. The Effect of Gender on Visual Field Sensitivity: The Singapore Chinese Eye Study. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2019 Jun;26(3):183-188. doi: 10.1080/09286586.2019.1568505.
7. K Lun, ME Suwandono, V Koh, PT Chew, et al. Evaluating the Laser Output of the Micropulse P3 Laser Delivery Device Following Repeated Use. J Glaucoma. 2019 Aug;28(8):697-700.
8. W Tong, M Romero, V Lim, SC Loon, ME Suwandono, Shuang Y, D Xiao, Y Kanagasingam, V Koh, et al. Reliability of Graders and Comparison with an Automated Algorithm for Vertical Cup-Disc Ratio Grading in Fundus Photographs. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2019 Sep; 48(9):282-289.
9. KYT Wong, CM Aquino, AM Macasaet, ME Suwandono, PT Chew, V Koh, et al. MP3 Plus: A Modified Micropulse Trans-scleral Cyclophototherapy Technique for the Treatment of Refractory Glaucoma. J Glaucoma. 2020 Apr;29(4):264-270.