The NUHS Hand Surgery Residency is a six-year programme developed to train residents into competent and compassionate hand surgeons. It is supported by a group of dedicated faculty, many whom are recognised leaders in their field.
The first two years of Surgery-In-General (SIG) Residency Programme develops our residents’ ability to manage patients in all surgical specialties before embarking on the journey of subspecialisation. This ensures that residents are not only trained to be experts in their specialty, but they are trained to provide holistic care within a multidisciplinary team.
The following four years of hand surgery training provides residents with exposure to a wide variety of cases and ample research opportunities to develop into a well-rounded hand and reconstructive microsurgeon.
Hand Surgery Residency Programme is unique in Singapore as it is a stand-alone specialty. We, together with Finland, currently have the only Hand Surgery specific training programme in the world. As such we pride ourselves as independent pioneers in this field.
We work as a close-knit team and will provide a comprehensive programme to equip you to finish your residency as a well-trained surgeon in all aspects of hand surgery.
Some features that makes NUHS programme unique among the other programmes include:
- We have the “Father” of hand, reconstructive and microsurgery, Emeritus Professor Robert Pho still actively involved in training at all levels.
- We are the most established hand surgery department in Singapore with the largest group of hand surgeons working together.
- The collective expertise of the faculty represents the widest breadth and depth of hand and reconstructive microsurgery in Singapore including but not limited to upper extremity trauma management, congenital hand surgery, upper and lower extremity soft tissue reconstruction and resurfacing, brachial plexus and peripheral nerve surgery, minimally invasive upper extremity surgery, sports injuries and complex wrist reconstruction as well as upper extremity musculoskeletal oncologic surgery.
- We have the largest dedicated hand centre in Asia housing outpatient clinics, procedure rooms and occupational therapy department all under one roof.
- But most importantly, it is the PEOPLE and the unique ethos that makes us unique. We share our joy, sorrow, challenges and success and we work together to thrive for excellence in patient care and the specialty of hand surgery.
Download detailed program information
Dr David Tan
Ms Jessica Yen