Dr Lin Weiqin is presently a Consultant with the Department of Cardiology, National University Heart Centre, Singapore (NUHCS) and serves as the Clinical Director of the Heart Failure Programme at NUHCS.
Dr Lin graduated with Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the National University of Singapore in 2008. He completed his Basic Specialist Training in Internal Medicine and was conferred the Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine from the National University of Singapore, and Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (United Kingdom) in 2011. Thereafter, he completed his cardiology training at the National University Heart Centre, Singapore in 2015 and was appointed as a staff cardiologist.
He was awarded the Healthcare Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) in 2017 and completed a year of fellowship training in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA. Over the course of the fellowship, he was trained in the management of acute heart failure with short-term mechanical circulatory support, as well as caring for advanced heart failure patients with implanted durable left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) or heart transplantation.
Besides heart failure, Dr Lin's other subspecialty interests include cardiomyopathies (including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, cardiac amyloidosis, cardiac sarcoidosis) and echocardiography. He performs right heart catheterisation and cardiac biopsy as part of his practice. He also sits in the committee for the national heart transplant and mechanical circulatory support programmes.
Dr Lin is active in clinical research and medical education. His research interests are in the fields of chronic heart failure, cardiogenic shock, mechanical circulatory support and amyloid heart disease. He has published several articles in peer-reviewed journals and presented abstracts in international scientific meetings. He is a core faculty member of the internal medicine residency programme and holds the concurrent appointment of Assistant Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore.
1. Effects of Sodium/Glucose Co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors on Cardiovascular and Metabolic Outcomes in Non-Diabetic Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized-controlled Trials. Teo YH, Teo YN, Syn NL, Kow CS, Yoong CSY, Tan BYQ, Yeo TC, Lee CH, Lin W, Sia CH. J Am Heart Assoc. 2021;10:e019463. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.120.019463.
2. Subclinical Cardiomyopathy in Miyoshi Myopathy Detected by Late Gadolinium Enhancement Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Case for Routine Cardiac Screening? Tan MLS, Ong CC, Tan KB, Chin HL, Paliwal PR, Ng WPK, Lin W. Int Heart J. 2021;62:186-192. DOI: 10.1536/ihj.20-354.
3. Coronavirus-induced Myocarditis: A Meta-summary of Cases. Ho JSY, Sia CH, Chan MYY, Lin W, Wong RCC. Heart Lung. 2020;49:681-685. DOI: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2020.08.013.
4. Takotsubo Syndrome and Rheumatic Diseases – A Critical Systematic Review. Lin W, Tay SH, Mak A. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2021;60:11-22. DOI: 10.1093/rheumatology/keaa504.
5. Catheter-based Left Ventricular Assist Device for the Management of Cardiogenic Shock Complicating Acute Myocardial Infarction: A First-In-Singapore Experience. Lin W, Cherian R, Kang GS, Tan HC, Low AF. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2020;49:707-711. PMID: 33241263.
6. Rationale for a Singapore Transthyretin Amyloidosis Registry: A New Dawn for an Old Disease. Lin W. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2020;49:411-414. PMID: 32712643.
7. Mid-regional Pro-adrenomedullin Outperforms N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide for the Diagnosis of Acute Heart Failure in the Presence of Atrial Fibrillation. Kuan WS, Ibrahim I, Chan SP, Li Z, Liew OW, Frampton C, Troughton R, Pemberton CJ, Chong JPC, Tan LL, Lin W, Ooi SBS, Richards AM. Eur J Heart Fail. 2020;22:692-700. DOI: 10.1002/ejhf.1660.
8. Minimally Invasive Biventricular Mechanical Circulatory Support with Impella Pumps as a Bridge to Heart Transplantation: A First-in-the-world Case Report. Varian K, Xu WD, Lin W, Unai S, Tong MZ, Soltesz E, Krishnaswamy A, Kapadia S, Feitell S, Hanna M, Joyce E, Schoenhagen P, Starling RC, Taylor DO, Perez AL. ESC Heart Fail. 2019;6:552-554. DOI: 10.1002/ehf2.12412.
9. Novel Insights and Treatment Strategies for Right Heart Failure. Lin W, Poh AL, Tang WHW. Curr Heart Fail Rep. 2018;15:141-155. DOI: 10.1007/s11897-018-0389-5.
10. Superior Performance of N-terminal Pro Brain Natriuretic Peptide for Diagnosis of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure in an Asian Compared with a Western Setting. Ibrahim I, Kuan WS, Frampton C, Troughton R, Liew OW, Chong JP, Chan SP, Tan LL, Lin WQ, Pemberton CJ, Ooi SB, Richards AM. Eur J Heart Fail. 2017;19:209-217. DOI: 10.1002/ejhf.612.