Dr Ganga obtained his degrees from Madras Medical College, Chennai, India and advanced sub-specialty training from the Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, USA. He specialises in the diseases and surgery of the eyelids, lacrimal system, orbit and oculofacial diseases. Committed to clinical and surgical excellence, he is a regional and international expert in disorders such as orbital trauma, ophthalmic oncology, congenital and acquired eyelid disorders, lacrimal system disorders, anophthalmic sockets, thyroid eye disease, facial palsy, etc. Some of his special interests include minimally invasive surgery (eg. endoluminal duct recanalisation(ELDR)), complex orbital trauma reconstructions (navigation surgery, bioresorbable implants and customized implants), medical and surgical rehabilitation of thyroid eye disease, and vascular lesions of the orbit.
Dr Ganga is part of the core faculty of the Department of Ophthalmology and heads the Orbit & Oculofacial Surgery Service at the National University Hospital (NUH). Dr Ganga was instrumental in starting various multidisciplinary services including the NUH Retinoblastoma service (with paediatric oncologists, neuro-interventional radiologists and pathologists), NUH Thyroid Eye Disease Service (with Endocrinologists & immunologists) and the NUH Lacrimal Service (with Rhinologists). He has trained Fellows from Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, India, Thailand, Iran, Syria, the United Kingdom and Nepal.
Dr Ganga has won many awards for his work, including the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award, Ocular Trauma Excellence Award, Best Teacher Award as well as several International Orations and named lectureships.
Dr Ganga travels widely as a regional and international faculty at various orbital and craniomaxillofacial conferences, symposia and courses raising the level of care of orbital and orbitofacial disorder and has contributed chapters to several textbooks in his field. He serves in several leadership capacities in various national, regional and international professional societies. In addition to several scientific peer reviewed publications he has authored a book on 'Orbital Fractures – Principles, Concepts & Management' and co-authored a book on 'Ocular Adnexal Lesions – A clinical, pathological and radiologic correlation'.
- 2020 - Value Derived Outcome (VDO) Award, Dept of Ophthalmology, National University Hospital, Singapore
- 2019 - Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology – Leadership Development Program (APAO-LDP) Award, APAO Congress mar 2019, Bangkok.
- 2019 - Best Scientific Paper Award (Free Paper), Clinoid Process as a landmark for Radiologic Exophthalmometry, APAO Congress Mar 2019, Bangkok
- 2018 - Member, Winning Team, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Leadership Development Program Competition Sep 2018 Singapore
- 2018 - Ophthalmic Trauma Excellence Award, Sankara Nethralaya Retina Summit/OculartraumaCon 2018 Chennai, India
- 2018 - Best video award, Practical classification of Orbitofacial fractures, APOTS/OTSI/SN Retina Summit, Jul 2018, Chennai, India
- 2018 - Mohammed Javed Ali Gold medal for Best Video in Dacryology, Rhinology Conference, May 2018, New Delhi, India
- 2018 - Best Scientific paper award, 'Anophthalmic sockets in retinoblastoma', Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Annual Meeting, Hong Kong
- 2018 - Senior Achievement Award, Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology, Annual Meeting, Hong Kong
Journals & Publications
1. Editor, Orbital Fractures: Principles, Concepts and Management. Imaging Science Today 2018. ISBN: 978-1-946915-09-2. Co-Editor, Ocular Adnexal Lesions: A clinical, radiological and pathological correlation. Springer, 2019. ISBN: 978-981-13-3798-7.1: Kansakar P, Sundar G. Vision loss associated with orbital surgery - a majorreview. Orbit. 2020 Jun;39(3):197-208. doi:10.1080/01676830.2019.1658790. Epub 2019 Oct 1. PMID: 31573370.
2. YH Chin, CH Ng, MH Lee, JWH Koh, J Kiew, SP Yang, G Sundar, CM Khoo. Prevalence of thyroid eye disease in Graves' disease: A meta-analysis and systematic review. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2020 Oct;93(4):363-374. doi: 10.1111/cen.14296. Epub 2020 Aug 10. PMID: 32691849.
3: S Natarajan, AG Nair, R Hegde, G Sundar, MM Bapaye, G Mukherjee, P Bhasin, MS Sachdev, N Sharma, R Sinha; AIOS Writing Group: A Sen, AK Grover, B Srinivasan, JS Titiyal, JK Das, K Bhattacharjee, K Ramasamy, JKS Parihar, M Shah, OP Agrawal, P Bawankule, R Raman, R Mehta, R Agrawal, S Mohan, S Singh, MB Thirumalesh, U Kim, VK Baranwal. Guidelines for the management of ocular trauma during the COVID-19 pandemic. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020 Nov;68(11):2483-2485. doi: 10.4103/ijo.IJO_1892_20. PMID: 33120648; PMCID: PMC7774135.
4. THB Lee, G Sundar. Quality of Life in Thyroid Eye Disease: A Systematic Review. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020 Mar/Apr;36(2):118-126. doi:10.1097/IOP.0000000000001446. PMID: 31567783.
5. W Wong, G Sundar, C Chee, PS Zhao, R Rajagopalan, L Gopal. Clinical spectrum, treatment and outcomes of uveal melanoma in a tertiary centre. Singapore Med J. 2019 Sep;60(9):474-478. doi: 10.11622/smedj.2019054. Epub 2019 Jun 14. PMID: 31197380; PMCID: PMC7911076.
6. MH Lee, YH Chin, CH Ng, KRY Nistala, ZGW Ow, G Sundar, SP Yang, CM Khoo. Risk Factors of Thyroid Eye Disease. Endocr Pract. 2021 Mar;27(3):245-253. doi:10.1016/j.eprac.2020.11.011. Epub 2020 Dec 14. PMID: 33655885.
7. S Seen, SM Young, SJ Teo, SS Lang, S Amrith, TC Lim, G Sundar. Permanent Versus Bioresorbable Implants in Orbital Floor Blowout Fractures. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Nov/Dec;34(6):536-543. doi:10.1097/IOP.0000000000001077. PMID: 29419638.
8. SM Young, AYN Lim, SS Lang, KO Lee, G Sundar. Efficacy and safety of pulsed intravenous methylprednisolone in early active thyroid eye disease. Orbit. 2019 Oct;38(5):362-369. doi: 10.1080/01676830.2018.1553189. Epub 2018 Dec 12. PMID:30540214.
9. ST Seo, G Sundar, SM Young. Postoperative Quality of Life in Oculoplastic Patients. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Jan-Feb 01;37(1):12-17. doi:10.1097/IOP.0000000000001681. PMID: 32358236.
10. S Seen, S Young, SS Lang, TC Lim, S Amrith, G Sundar. Orbital Implants in Orbital Fracture Reconstruction: A Ten-Year Series. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2021 Mar;14(1):56-63. doi: 10.1177/1943387520939032. Epub 2020 Aug 11. PMID: 33613837; PMCID: PMC7868517.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Asia Pacific Ophthalmic Trauma Society
- College of Ophthalmology, Fellow, Academy of Medicine - Singapore
- European Group on Graves Orbitopathy (EUGOGO)
- International Thyroid Eye Disease Society (ITEDS)
- Singapore Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Paediatrics, National University Hospital (NUH)
- Core Faculty, Department of Ophthalmology, National University Hospital (NUH)