A/Prof Caroline Chee specialises in the management of retinal diseases, including age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular disorders, retinal dystrophies, retinoblastoma, intraocular infections, retinal detachment, macular surgery (such as for macular holes, epiretinal membranes and myopic macular schisis), and retinal trauma.
She has been and continues to be Principal Investigator or Site Principal investigator for several multicentre randomised clinical trials, and involved with other retinal related research. She was Principal Investigator in Singapore for the Retina Implant for Retinitis Pigmentosa.
She is the Department Director for Postgraduate Training, and has been examiner for the Master of Medicine exam (National University of Singapore), Fellowship and Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Fellowship of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (UK), and the Fellowship of the Academy of Medicine of Singapore.
A/Prof Chee underwent general ophthalmic and retinal training in Singapore before proceeding to retinal fellowships in the United Kingdom at Addenbrooke Hospital, Cambridge and at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London from 1992-1993.
1. Y Ogura, J Roider, JF Korobelnik, FG Holz, C Simader, U Schmidt-Erfurth, R Vitti, AJ Berliner, F Hiemeyer, B Stemper, O Zeitz, R Sandbrink; GALILEO Study Group. Intravitreal aflibercept for macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusion: 18-month results of the phase 3 GALILEO study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014 Nov;158(5):1032-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2014.07.027.
2. K Stingl, KU Bartz-Schmidt, D Besch, CK Chee, CL Cottriall, F Gekeler, M Groppe, TL Jackson, RE MacLaren, A Koitschev, A Kusnyerik, J Neffendorf, J Nemeth, MA Naeem, T Peters, JD Ramsden, H Sachs, A Simpson, MS Singh, B Wilhelm, D Wong, E Zrenner. Subretinal Visual Implant Alpha IMS--Clinical trial interim report. Vision Res. 2015 Jun;111(Pt B):149-60. doi: 10.1016/ j.visres.2015. 03.001.
3. EW Chan, M Eldeeb, G Lingam, D Thomas, M Bhargava, CK Chee. Quantitative Changes in Pigment Epithelial Detachment Area and Volume Predict Retreatment in Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy.
4. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Dec 19. pii: S0002-9394(16)30605-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajo.2016.12.008. [Epub ahead of print].
5. Z Liu, SS Liow, SL Lai, A Alli-Shaik, GE Holder, BH Parikh, S Krishnakumar, Z Li, MJ Tan, J Gunaratne, VA Barathi, W Hunziker, R Lakshminarayanan, CWT Tan, CK Chee, P Zhao, G Lingam, XJ Loh, X Su. Retinal-detachment repair and vitreous-like-body. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2021 Jan 7;10(1):10. doi: 10.1167/tvst.10.1.10. eCollection 2021 Jan.PMID: 33510949reformation via a thermogelling polymer endotamponade. Nat Biomed Eng 2019 Aug;3(8):598-610 doi: 10.1038/s41551-019-0382-7. Epub 2019 Apr 8.