Objectives of the Program
The overall aim of the Otorhinolaryngology Residency Program is to produce a well qualified ENT surgeon who will be able to practice as an academic clinician, contributing to the specialty and society in Singapore as well as internationally.
- To produce a safe and competent clinician in the field of Otorhinolaryngology
- To produce an Otorhinolaryngologist who is able to conduct excellent medical education
- To produce an Otorhinolaryngologist who will be able to conduct clinical and/or research studies independently and have the potential to lead research programmes in an academic institution
- To produce an Otorhinolaryngologist who will be able to contribute to advancing the specialty internationally
The Department believes that learning should be graduated, with the trainees attaining competence in basic knowledge and skills before embarking on more advanced topics. Emphasis will be placed on attaining competence in clinical skills such as history taking, examination, differential diagnosis, intepretation of investigations and outline of management plans for R1 to R3. During this period, surgical skills in the common ENT procedures will be taught. The R4 and R5 will be dedicated to specific management plans, including plans of action and surgical approaches. Surgical skills in more complex surgery will be attained.
Criteria for admissions
- Passed MBBS (or equivalent)
- Currently doing or completed Transitional Year or Housemanship / Internship
- Earliest entry will be at postgraduate year 2