The University Medicine Cluster at NUHS has a long history of excellence in patient care, education and research. Our Residency programmes reflect these strengths. Our programmes are designed to ensure that training takes place in settings that are respectful of residents’ needs and capable of delivering patient care efficiently, effectively and safely.
We have configured a host of programmes that integrate training in clinical competence, academic scholarship, critical thinking and personal development. Our programme will help you achieve a mastery of clinical medicine and prepare you for the contemporary practise of medicine.
We emphasise on protected teaching and the principle of graded responsibility for patient care to enable our residents to become independent physicians. Our programmes offer a broad based training in General Medicine, Cardiology, Pulmonology, Gastroenterology, Neurology, Nephrology, Dermatology, Intensive Care, Endocrinology, Infectious Disease, Rheumatology, Haematology, Hepatology, and Oncology.
Our goal is to create an optimal educational and clinical environment in Internal Medicine that helps residents achieve excellence in clinical performance, competence and personal development.
|Outstanding and special features of NUHS internal medicine residency programme:
- A balanced training experience in both tertiary and community hospitals. National University Hospital, being a tertiary hospital with a full complement of subspecialties, provides residents a broad-based training with exposure to a wide variety of specialties within medicine.
- A premier programme with excellent faculty. Residents are mentored by our outstanding cadre of faculty who are recognised leaders in general medicine and subspecialties. Our dedicated faculty ensures that the residents’ development in academic scholarship and critical thinking are integrated with personal development and emotional maturity.
- Innovative night-float on-call system. We are the first and only institution in Singapore that has successfully implemented the night-float on-call system. This innovative on-call system ensures adequate rest for residents and prevents fatigue from long continuous working hours.
- Comprehensive and innovative tools for teaching and evaluating the core competencies. Simulation laboratories, “learning through testing”, “learning through teaching”, online self-directed learning modules, examination preparatory courses are examples of the extensive innovations and resources developed for resident education in NUHS.
- Opportunities for research and scholarly activities. As scholarship is a critical element of the university medicine cluster’s identity, our residents are encouraged and provided with resources to pursue research opportunities during residency.
Our comprehensive training programme has equipped residents with both practical and academic skills.
Residents have been providing high quality care evident from excellent patient outcomes, and care with a heart as evident from numerous compliments and feedback received from both patients and seniors.
Academically, our residents have also shown consistency in passing the MRCP PACES in their first attempt with an average pass rate of 90% since the start of the IM residency programme.
We have a new initiative to offer a structured elective programme for students interested in internal medicine. Please click here to find out more information.
If you wish to contact us, please click here.
Please click here to find out more information about the NUH Department of Medicine.